Thursday, April 23, 2015

One of those days... drip

Some days are just "those days" you know the kind where little things continually happen and you begin to wonder, huh?

Today is one of those days.... drip

I woke up barely balanced on the edge of my bed to find my toddler stretched out on my pillow. drip.

While driving her to daycare, I received a disheartening phone call that made it difficult to focus on enjoying one of my favorite times of the day, the morning ride to school. You know there is a problem when a sweet voice from the back says, "Mama, please get off the phone." drip.

I arrived at work late and walked quickly toward the door only to notice my coffee cup had a hole on the bottom and had slowly been creating a coffee pool in my cup holder. drip.

On the way in I realized I had forgotten my badge. drip.


Morning announcements. I use a jeans pass to "patch" the hole in the cup. You can guess how well that worked. drip.

A teacher stopped me in the hall to discuss the schedule for the next two weeks. My schedule is so full I have no idea how to respond. drip. drip.

Returning to my room, I decide to tape the cup. Pleased with becoming a drip stopper, I begin to respond to emails. Lifting my coffee cup to my lips. drip.

The new calendar that I just finished updating sitting below my cup. drip.

That's it, my coffee goes sailing into the trash. drip. 

Realization that I threw my coffee away before I was fully awake sets in. drip.

Now I am left coffee-less. I debate reaching in an getting my cup back out of the trashcan, drip.

I stop for a second allowing my exhaustion to set in and find myself feeling... blessed.

You see, without the occasional drip in life, we wouldn't fully appreciate the little things. You can focus on the drips, but you will be missing out on so many wonderful little things.

Let's try this again....

I woke up this morning cuddled up with my daughter who had been frightened by the storms. Morning cuddles, blessed.

Before my phone rang, I had 15 minutes of quality conversation with my child, blessed.

After drop off I called my wife who immediately answered and helped me talk through some feelings...blessed. 

When I realized I had forgotten my badge there were 2 people walking in behind me that had their badges, blessed.

Morning announcements made me laugh, blessed.

My calendar could be reprinted, but I kind of like this one with a drip... it reminds me that I am blessed.

My coffee is in the trash, but we have a coke machine that is fully stocked and accepts credit cards, blessed.

Truth be told, my coffee was a bit flat today anyways.

Anyone else having a drip kind of day? Take time to recognize all of the blessings shining through the drips.

1 comment: