Sunday, August 2, 2015

The End OR A New Beginning?

Around August 1st each year I start developing symptoms.. it's the same thing every year for the past 11 years....

*exhaustion by day and insomnia by night
*headaches
*lethargy and the desire to "do nothing"
*procrastination (but if I'm being honest this is a 24/7...365 symptom of just being me.)

I feel as if I were momentarily taken over by Grumpy the dwarf and I have to fight hard to not have an attitude with those around me...the ones I love most.

It hits me like a ton of bricks. It's when I stop sleeping that I then realize, summer is over.

No more waking up and slowly sipping my coffee while I watch my daughter explore the world.
No more traveling around to see family. No more lakes and beaches.
No more days spent at the pool.
No more spontaneity of plans, back to structure and routine.
No more staying up late.
No more free time.
No more being a stay at home mom.

But then I think about my job...
...the kids
...the teachers
...the admin
...about what I actually do


What is the real source of my stress? What am I worried about really?

I have built up this fantasy in my head about the summer break. A dark cloud lurks over August.

I will always cherish my summer vacations but with school starting comes a new beginning.
A chance to make a difference
A chance to reconnect with colleagues

Here is what I know for sure, when school begins...

I will laugh.
I will reconnect with friends that by the end of the year are more like family.
I will collaborate.
I will teach and they will learn.
I will watch as light bulbs of understanding flicker on a million times.
I will be part of something big.
I will have ideas that are unimaginable in August.
I We will dream and implement.
We will celebrate successes and work through failures.
We will grow together.

I must force myself to stop and reevaluate my body's response to the end of summer.... what am I so worried about?

After 11 years I know one thing for sure, I love my job. I love the kids.
Summer is over but will come again.

Now it's time to get my butt in gear and rev up for an amazing adventure.

BRING ON the 2015-2016 school year!

1 comment: