Thursday, November 6, 2014

Padlet, Popplet, and Plickers... oh my!

Today I rearranged my schedule so that I could attend grade level planning meetings. Our instructional tech guru was on campus all day showing teachers fun things to do in their classrooms. We are so fortunate to be educators in a time of endless opportunity.

After attending the Plickers training I gave it a go with my 5th grade kiddos... This was the first time I have given them an assessment and they asked if they could answer more questions when we were done.

Upon conclusion of our Plickers cause and effect quiz one student said, "Man, technology these days!"

That makes me think back to my childhood my cassette tapes were replaced by brand new amazing CD's.

The joy of getting my bright purple pager in high school and thinking how techy I was wearing it- complete with the tiny chain attaching to my belt loop.

My first cell phone, amazing at the time, has become an artifact that these students ponder over.
The technology we are all amazed by right now will soon become the dusty pager. My brain cannot even begin to imagine what tools these kids will use 20 years from now.

In a Twitter chat the other day someone posed the question of how to get reluctant teachers on board with technology. My answer was something about technology being the thing that keeps teachers from becoming fossils. How can anyone NOT be on board to discover this technological realm? Hesitancy is unfathomable.

At one point in time technology was a thing that you could chose to use or ignore... like a computer lab in school. You could sign up for the class to practice typing at a certain speed and then play Oregon Trail hoping you don't die of dysentery... or you could simply never enter the "technology" area and go on pretending the "machines" didn't exist.

That mindset simply doesn't work anymore. Technology is all around. There is not a divide. You can not escape technological advances. Unless you are living in a cave, you need to hop on for the ride. Still reluctant? You won't be left behind...  you will be forever lost.

You will be a bike stuck in the tree. Technology will grow and change around you. You will remain stuck in your rut of ignorance. Advances will only continue.
Bicycle Eaten by a Tree.

In the words of my 5th grader... Man, technology these days...

No comments:

Post a Comment