Wednesday, September 24, 2014

A, B, C....LMNO, P

I made an interesting discovery while reading the Rainy Day Alphabet with a group yesterday. The students were on a roll identifying what letter came next and using picture clues to help them with word identification.... until they got to L.

I asked, "What comes next?"

Student, "P"

Me, "Are you sure?"

Student, "Yes, P!"

Me: "Let's sing the ABC's to check"

3 students sang in unison: "A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, LMNO, P, Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z"

I asked them again, "What comes after L?"

Student: "P! LMNO, P." (LMNO is said as one letter very quickly)

I said, "I want you to listen now as I sing the ABC's slowly."

I proceeded to sing L, M, N, O, P putting spaces between each. One student's eyes lit up and she said, "I heard it!"

All 3 of the students had the same gap. They knew their letters and sounds but they could not order the letters of the alphabet and had not realized L, M, N, O, P were 5 different letters.

Today the students worked on ordering the alphabet... by time we were done they could correctly order and sing the ABC's. We did get a few funny looks while singing in the hallway!
You can be sure that when I go home tonight my daughter and I will sing the ABC song slowly... with an emphasis on L, M, N, O, P.

No comments:

Post a Comment