Thursday, September 11, 2014

Student Suggestions on Engaging Literature

The first time I met with my 5th grade book club I asked them to fill out a reading interest survey. I learned quite a bit about the thoughts of a 5th grade reader. These kids are all very smart and love to read for pleasure. The conversations around the table as they filled out their surveys were full of excitement.

My first interesting observation was about the book preferences of the 6 students...

The first (a boy) crossed out the word ROMANCE so that it was unrecognizable. 
The second (a girl) circled the word ROMANCE and wrote YES on the line. 
...Now this was typical and not at all surprising... UNTIL....


Another student chimed in saying this...
"The only books I ever pick to read are HORROR and MYSTERY stories."
The surprising part of this was it came from the smallest GIRL in the group. 

The rest of the conversation went something like this:

Ms. Ransom: "I don't think Mr. Steele would approve of me choosing a HORROR story for book club!"

Student 1: "I am pretty sure it would be fine. They bleep out the bad words. Please?"

Student 2: "What? How would they bleep out bad words in a book? Like you are just reading along and then, BEEEEEEEEEP? I highly doubt that would work." 

Student 1: "Ms. Ransom could put sticky notes over the bad words."

Ms. Ransom: "That implies that I must first READ the horror story which in turn would give me nightmares and then I would be too tired to pull your book club."

Student 2: "I think we should stick to ROMANCE stories."

Student 3: (who had been listening silently) "THAT would be a HORROR story to me! Romance gives me nightmares."

Ms. Ransom: "OK...so blood, dying, and kissing are out."

Student 1: "Man, that takes out all of the good ones!"


The interest survey continued and one of the questions asked: What is the WORST  book you have ever read? This student's response...
TEXAS TREASURES.
Texas Treasures is the name of our current reading adoption!
When asked why he chose Texas Treasures he said, "The stories aren't engaging. They are totally boring! I would much rather read an interesting book any day!" Then he asked if he was in trouble for writing that on his paper. I had to explain that his thought about the adopted text need not be shared in class. Then I added that his opinions and feeling about the curriculum are valid. I assured him that I would not choose his Texas Treasures book as our book club selection. 


Next question: What do you want Ms. Ransom to know about you? 
Most responses read something like this... 
"I like sports."
"I love to read."
But this one was my favorite...

"Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Except what I write on this paper."
Should I tell him that because I was his teacher in 1st grade...I already know him really well?


I was alarmed when I realized that not only am I expected to plan lessons for book club this year... these kids expect a lot out of our 30 minutes 3 times a week! Take this as an example:

Question: What are you hoping to learn from our book club?
How to parachute out of a plane. 
I'm not positive... but I think Plano ISD may have an issue with a field trip to go skydiving!

I am very excited to work with this group this year! My time with them sure will keep me on my toes. The coolest part is... the sky's the limit with these kiddos!

1 comment:

  1. I heart that you are doing a book club. Can I drop by sometime?

    ReplyDelete